- SUSAN'S ARTICLES
- Susan's Articles
- FAQs, Fun & Tips
- Check Availability
- Schedule an Interview
- Susan's Page
- Susan's Fan/Biz page
- Follow Susan
- Susan's Channel
Susan RoAne's Common Sense HOLIDAY Tips for the Shy and Not So Shy
- Organize a POTLUCK party or Holiday Lunch outing for your team or division if the company has cancelled theirs.
- Focus Your Conversation on the Event: The season is the reason. So, bring your O.A.R. and start with small talk and the items you have in common.
- Observe -- The venue, food or entertainment
- "What fun decorations! And, the food is fabulous."
- Ask -- The host or a guest:
- "Have any special plans for this holiday"? OR. "Who do you think made this delicious crab dip"?
- Reveal -- Your ideas, thoughts, plans;
- "My plans to be on the slopes for the holidays didn't pan out." OR "For the obvious reasons we decided to stick closer to home for a more low-keyed family holiday." Add humor." We're calling it a "holiday-cation".
- Act Like A Host (and a gracious guest): Be interested; pay attention; listen and introduce people to each other.
- Treat Spouses/Guests (yours and theirs) With Respect: Introduce them with enthusiasm and include them with eye contact, comments and questions.
- Remember That Holiday/Christmas Parties Are Still Business Networking Events: Dress and act appropriately..
- Don't Drink Excessively. Enough Said. There is no such thing as "free drinks". If one overindulges, there's a price to pay.
- Don't Assume Everyone Celebrates Christmas. (And if you don't, be gracious about the error.)
- Don't do anything that you wouldn't want to see uploaded on YouTube or posted on the internet.
- Don't forget to detach from the techie toys (cell phones, tablets and ipods) and refrain from text messaging, emailing, status updating or tweeting when talking to people. Don't post pictures or comments without permission.
- Don't Kvetch, Whine, Ridicule, Compete, Correct, Interrogate or Brag.
BONUS Tip: Dress appropriately for the occasion. Consider time, place and type of celebration. Tuck away your Tux unless it's a black tie event.
Based on Susan RoAne Face To Face: How To Reclaim the Personal Touch in a Digital World and How To Work A Room®
©2012SusanRoAne Reprint only with the permission of author email@example.com
Join keynote speaker Susan RoAne's e-mail list today and get FREE